Friday 18 November 2011

Carrot baby food

Carrot puree

Carrots were Oscar's second food, after organic baby oatmeal. I didn't choose carrots for any particular reason other than the fact that we received some beautiful, sweet red ones in our CSA basket.

What I did:
.

  1. Scrub and peel the carrots. This took quite awhile because they were fairly small. I wouldn't normally peel sweet little carrots like this, but I read on Wholesome Baby Food that babies can have a hard time digesting carrot peels. I was surprised upon peeling the gorgeous red carrots to find that they pretty much looked like regular carrots inside.
  2. Slice the carrots into 1cm pieces and put them in a steamer basket. Cook, covered, over boiling water for approximately 15 minutes or until they were easily pierced with a fork.
  3. Transfer carrots to food processor or blender and puree. I used a food processor and didn't need to add any liquid to get a smooth puree, but your milage may vary.
  4. Freeze any puree you will not use within 3 days. I used an ice cube tray.
  5. To serve, thin the puree to a consistency that works for your baby with water, breast milk, or formula

The verdict?

I thought that they were delicious, and would have happily eaten the whole bowl with a little salt, pepper, and butter. Oscar, on the other hand, was not impressed. We tried them on two consecutive days and he rejected then after the first bite each time. We'll give him a break from the carrots and try again in a week or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment